- 1. Where is Fine Arts Museum? How to get there?
- 2. Opening hours and ticket fee of Fine Arts Museum
- 3. The history of Fine Arts Museum that you may not know
- 4. What to explore in Fine Arts Museum Hanoi?
- 5. Other landmarks to see near Hanoi Fine Arts Museum
Fine Arts Museum is a popular tourist site that is always included in any Hanoi travel itinerary. It is now packed with hundreds of locals and tourists coming every day to explore the entire development of Vietnamese art’s history through the collections, documents, and artifacts on display at the museum.
1. Where is Fine Arts Museum? How to get there?
Fine Arts Museum is located at No. 66, Nguyen Thai Hoc Street, Ba Dinh Street, Hanoi. You can find the way to the museum easily as it is near the city center.
There are several ways to get to Fine Arts Museum Hanoi with convenience:
- Take a taxi or motorbike taxi
- Take buses number 02, 18, 22A, 23, 32, 33, 34 38, 41, 45, or 50 which all pass by the museum
2. Opening hours and ticket fee of Fine Arts Museum
The museum opens from 8:30 am to 5 pm every day. Opening hours may change under notice from the museum on special Vietnamese occasions, like Tet Holiday or the National Day.
Ticket fees to the museums are as follows:
- Children under 6 years old: Free
- Children from 6 – 16 years old: VND10,000
- Students: VND15,000
- Adults: VND30,000
- The extra fee for visitors who want to hire a guide for the trip around the museum is VND150,000
- Parking fee: VND5,000/vehicle
In addition, to have a fulfilling experience at the museum, note the following:
- Do not touch the exhibits: All the exhibits in the museum are of great value, which can be easily damaged just by touching
- Do not film or take pictures: It is advised that you contemplate the exhibits with your eyes instead of only pictures
- Tour with a guide: You should hire a guide or bring a guidebook to enjoy the art here
3. The history of Fine Arts Museum that you may not know
Fine Arts Museum is part of the system of Vietnamese national museums under the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism. It has been preserving and promoting the cultural and artistic heritage of many Vietnamese ethnic groups.
This museum of fine arts was built during the French colonial period in the 1930s, named “Famille de Jeanne d’Arc”, serving as a study place for daughters of French officials. In 1962, the building was renovated to exhibit Vietnamese artworks that date back to prehistory. Hence, the architecture of National Fine Arts Museum was modified from its original European style to incorporate Vietnamese architectural elements.
Vietnam Fine Arts Museum was officially opened for visitors in 1966, with a total area of 4,200 square meters and an exhibition area of 1,200 square meters. Between 1997 and 1999, it was expanded to 4,737 and 3,000 square meters respectively.
4. What to explore in Fine Arts Museum Hanoi?
Here are some highlights that you should not miss out on in your trip to Fine Arts Museum:
4.1. An impressive collection of artworks
Fine Arts Museum currently has over 18,000 domestic artifacts that represent Vietnam’s art from ancient times to the present, categorized into many different themes:
- Fine arts in prehistory and early history: Everyday objects, weapons, production tools, ornaments, musical instruments, and artistic figurines in ancient times
- Art from the 11th to the 19th century: The most magnificent development period of Vietnamese ancient sculpture
- Art from the Early 20th Century AD. to the Present Day: The divergence of art history from 1925 to 1954 and the works from 1954 to present
- Traditional Applied Art: Handmade techniques shown on materials such as bamboo, metal, textile, etc.
- Folk art: Folk paintings and folk monuments
- Vietnamese ceramic art from the 11th to the 20th century: Unglazed and glazed ceramics from many historical periods
4.2. A special creative space for children
The creative space for children is a part of the museum’s Fine Arts Education program, which was launched in 2011. This place is on the third floor of the Fine Arts Museum, where children can become painters and sculptors, and are introduced to folk art and contemporary art through many experiential activities such as making collages, painting, etc.
To participate in the experiential activities at this unique creative space, visitors should note some necessary information below:
- Ticket price: 50,000 VND/person
- Opening hours: 9 am – 11:30 am and 2 pm – 4:30 pm
- Target audience: Children aged 5 – 15 years old
5. Other landmarks to see near Hanoi Fine Arts Museum
Aside from National Fine Arts Museum, you should see many other well-known landmarks in Hanoi to fulfill your trip to the capital city:
- St. Joseph’s Cathedral
St. Joseph’s Cathedral is Hanoi’s oldest church. As a magnificent architectural work combining Gothic and Vietnamese styles with many other unique features, the cathedral stands tranquil right at the heart of the bustling Old Quarter. This place, regarded as a gem of French colonial architecture, attracts thousands of locals and tourists every day.
- Hanoi Opera House
Hanoi Opera House is one of the largest opera houses in Vietnam and is also a tourist magnet in the capital city. This building was built to host classical art shows, such as chamber music, opera, ballet, and drama. With a total area of some 2,600 square meters, the opera house can accommodate 870 people. It has three floors full of red velvet seats, which is typical of the French classical style in the 19th century.
- Ly Thai To Monument
Ly Thai To monument is the largest bronze sculpture in Vietnam of Emperor Ly Thai To, the founder of the Ly Dynasty and Thang Long Imperial Citadel in 1010, which later became Hanoi. The monument stands 10.1 meters high, weighs 12 tons, and is atop a 20-ton pedestal. The monument was built to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the liberation of Hanoi and has become a popular attraction of the city.
In addition to Hanoi Fine Arts Museum and the famous landmarks above, you should also explore Vinpearl Aquarium and VinKE Times City, especially when you travel with your kids
- Coming to Vinpearl Aquarium, you can see the ocean world in one of Vietnam’s most cutting-edge aquarium systems. With an area of nearly 4,000 square meters, Vinpearl Aquarium is home to more than 30,000 sea animals from all over the world. It also offers many attractive performances to entertain visitors and give you a chance to interact with the sea creatures through a glass pane.
- Meanwhile, VinKE will give your family the opportunity to have fun and educate your kids in a 4,000-square-meter complex. VinKE offers a “play and learn” ground where kids can learn about their preferred fields, practice their dream jobs, and gain more confidence with the world around them.
>>> Book tickets of Vinpearl Aquarium and VinKE to enjoy a wide range of joyful activities with your loved ones!
Along with Hanoi, Hoi An, Da Nang, Nha Trang and Phu Quoc are among the top renowned tourist destinations of Vietnam. In order to have the finest experience, you should plan where you will stay for each destination.
It is advised that you reserve a room at the Vinpearl hotel and resort system, which offers prime locations, luxurious accommodation, full amenities, and a wealth of other alluring services like restaurants, bars, swimming pools, entertainment areas, etc. Also, you should visit VinWonders, which is a world-class amusement park where you can escape from the hectic and stressful life.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Da Nang to enjoy luxurious amenities and high-quality services!
>>> Book tickets of VinWonders Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Nam Hoi An to have a worthwhile experience on your trip to Hanoi!
Fine Arts Museum is one of the most significant museums when it comes to storing the cultural and artistic heritage of Vietnamese ethnic groups. This is an ideal place for anyone who loves art and wants to know more about Vietnamese culture in the most artistic way. Do not hesitate to visit Fine Arts Museum and discover a beautiful and peaceful world in the heart of Hanoi.
>>> Book tickets of Vinpearl Aquarium and VinKE, VinWonders Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Nam Hoi An to enjoy more exciting and relaxing tourist activities!
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang to have an unforgettable vacation!