- 1. Where is Hoi An Coconut Village? Is it worth visiting?
- 2. How to get to Hoi An Coconut Village?
- 3. When is the best time to visit Hoi An Coconut Village?
- 4. What are the highlights of a trip to Hoi An Coconut Village?
- 4.1. Embark on a basket boat journey through Bay Mau Coconut Forest
- 4.2. Explore Cam Thanh Village on a bike excursion
- 4.3. Try kayaking and stand-up paddleboarding
- 4.4. Join a hands-on handicraft workshop
- 4.5. Ride a buffalo for an authentic experience
- 4.6. Engage in an immersive Vietnamese cooking class
- 4.7. Indulge in the flavors of local delicacies
Unlike the splendid beauty of Hoi An town, Cam Thanh Coconut Village mesmerizes us with its tranquil atmosphere and the lush green color of the palm groves. From riding the basket boat through the forest to being involved in making traditional crafts, Coconut Village Vietnam promises an authentic cultural experience that will make you fall in love with this town.
1. Where is Hoi An Coconut Village? Is it worth visiting?
Located in Cam Thanh Commune, only about 3 kilometers east of Hoi An city center, Hoi An Coconut Village is a must-visit tourist attraction for its natural beauty and traditional values.
- Address: Can Nhan, Cam Thanh, Hoi An
- Opening hours: 7:00 am – 5:00 pm daily
- Entrance ticket: 30,000 VND
With a history of over 200 years, Hoi An Coconut Village is home to a collection of flora and fauna, along with various activities for tourists to explore the authentic local lifestyle. Thanks to its fertile soil and fresh water all year round, the palm trees and other plants are well nourished and gradually grow into a vast coconut forest that spreads over hundreds of hectares.
Back in the old days, Hoi An Coconut Village used to be an army base for Vietnamese soldiers against the French and Americans. Besides the historical value, the village also holds time-honored local culture through various traditional crafts, such as fishing net weaving, coconut product making, basket boat making, palm house building, and bird nest harvesting. The knowledge and skills of these crafts has been meticulously preserved and passed down through generations since the 15th century. Among them, building houses from palm trees is a distinctive and exclusive tradition in Cam Thanh Coconut Village, with around 30 households still upholding it today.
Popularly known as “the Little Mekong Delta” of the Central, Hoi An Coconut Village provides tourists with a vast area of nipa palm forest, where we can immerse ourselves in the lush green of the palm trees while calmly riding the basket boat along the forest while exploring its diversified wildlife. Imagine how fascinating it would be to calmly ride through the forest on the basket boat and feel the fresh breeze while exploring the diversified wildlife and local life. In addition, you can also stroll along the path to fully admire the tranquil and pristine beauty of the place.
2. How to get to Hoi An Coconut Village?
In order to reach Hoi An Coconut Village, there are two main ways you can choose from, starting in Hoi An City:
- By road: You can start from Tran Phu Street and go straight forward to Nguyen Duy Hieu Street, then turn right to Tran Nhan Tong Street. After that, turn left at DX18 Road, then continue to turn left to Huynh Thi Luu Street and you will arrive at Hoi An Coconut Village.
- By waterway: The fastest route recommended for you is taking a boat trip from Bach Dang Pier, following the Hoai River for around 5 kilometers to reach the destination.
>>> Don’t know what to do in Hoi An? Check out this detailed Hoi An itinerary!
3. When is the best time to visit Hoi An Coconut Village?
Hoi An has four distinct seasons. Hence, it is advised that you visit the coconut forest during the following periods to avoid adverse weather:
- February to June: The weather is quite chill and dry, with beautiful sunshine and low chances of rain, which is perfect for outside activities and exploring the local life.
- July to September: Given the scorching summer weather in Hoi An during this period, it is advisable to visit the coconut village in the early morning or late afternoon to avoid the heat. Additionally, this time coincides with various captivating festivals in Hoi An ancient town that you can participate in and enjoy.
- October to December: The weather in Hoi An during these months tends to be cool and pleasant. However, there can be occasional rain and even flooding, so you should carefully consider your travel plans and be prepared for unfavorable weather conditions.
>>> Discover more about Hoi An weather to plan the ideal time for your next trip!
4. What are the highlights of a trip to Hoi An Coconut Village?
4.1. Embark on a basket boat journey through Bay Mau Coconut Forest
Hoi An boat ride is a unique experience here in Hoi An Coconut Village. Each boat can carry 2–3 people, and the price varies from 150,000 VND to 300,000 VND. Let yourself be mesmerized by the scenic view of green coconut trees while sitting on the basket boat and enjoying the fresh air. You will also get to see the mind-blowing skills of rowers through their exciting coracle dance performance, observe the art of casting nets to catch fish, and learn to create handmade crafts from palm leaves.
4.2. Explore Cam Thanh Village on a bike excursion
If you want to behold the serene beauty of Cam Thanh Village, a bicycle tour is highly recommended. The trip will allow you to fully immerse yourself in the stunning, bucolic setting of the huge rice fields and breathe in the fresh country air infused with the aroma of ripe rice. As you pedal leisurely around the village, you’ll come across friendly locals, enjoy picturesque landscapes, and perhaps even stumble upon a hidden alley off the beaten path.
4.3. Try kayaking and stand-up paddleboarding
After enjoying basket boat riding, you can explore every corner of Hoi An Coconut Village via kayaking or stand-up paddleboarding, which are ideal for outdoor enthusiasts. You can choose between taking a guided trip or renting a kayak and paddling on your own. What could be more fascinating than kayaking or paddling while admiring the breathtaking sunrise or sunset, discovering the palm forest, and immersing in the local life?
4.4. Join a hands-on handicraft workshop
Only about 1 kilometer away from the coconut village, the “Taboo Bamboo Workshop” is where you can unleash your creativity through making souvenirs. The trip starts with a tour of Mr. Tan’s studio, the owner of “Taboo Bamboo Workshop”, where he displays his original creations, including furniture for the home, a buggy, and more. Then you will be guided by the talented artisans to craft your own bamboo items, such as drinking cups, baskets, combs, lanterns, chairs, and even meticulous decor items like a bicycle.
4.5. Ride a buffalo for an authentic experience
If you prefer an unusual yet exciting experience here in Hoi An Coconut Village, try buffalo riding. This unique activity provides you with an authentic experience of the peaceful countryside: mounting on a buffalo while admiring the tranquil atmosphere and scenic surroundings. On the other hand, you can spend a day living like a local farmer by going out into the fields, growing rice, and practicing fishing all on your own.
4.6. Engage in an immersive Vietnamese cooking class
Another exciting activity, especially for foodaholics, is enrolling in a cooking class, where they can learn genuine Vietnamese cuisine and eat wonderful food after exploring the coconut forest in Hoi An Coconut Village. In addition to teaching a range of regional specialties, these classes offer visitors opportunities to interact with the local community.
4.7. Indulge in the flavors of local delicacies
Besides its pristine, exquisite natural beauty, Cam Thanh Coconut Village is also famous for its fantastic cuisine. Several specialties you should try here are the flavorful grilled bartail flathead fish, grilled scallops, crunchy coconut cake, etc. In addition, you can also indulge in various Hoi An’s gastronomic delicacies, such as Cao Lau, Mi Quang, Banh Mi, Nam O cake, etc., at very reasonable prices. With its diversity of culinary treasures, this cultural city will surely enrich your food adventure!
>>> Make your journey in 2023 full of excitement by experiencing all things to do in Hoi An!
As a tourist attraction in Vietnam renowned for its rich history and culture, exquisite nature, and delectable cuisine, Hoi An has plenty of amazing destinations besides the coconut village awaiting your exploration, such as Hoi An Ancient Town, An Bang Beach, Japanese Bridge, Hoi An night markets, Quan Cong Temple, Tan Ky Old House, My Son Sanctuary, Tra Que Vegetable Village, Cham Islands, Fujian Assembly Hall, etc.
Hoi An is also home to VinWonders Nam Hoi An, a huge amusement complex with a combination of traditional cultural values and modern entertainment. Coming to VinWonders Nam Hoi An, tourists can both engage in fascinating games and gain cultural insights through various fascinating activities and events.
>>> Book tickets of VinWonders Nam Hoi An and experience fantastic entertaining activities!
Hoi An Coconut Village is undoubtedly one of Hoi An’s must-visit tourist attractions. It is not only a famous ecotourism destination but also a place to preserve precious cultural and historical values through lots of activities like basket boat riding, buffalo riding, attending traditional workshops, etc. Hopefully, with this guide, you will have an amazing trip to Hoi An Coconut Village!