- 1. About Po Nagar Cham Towers Nha Trang
- 2. ALL things you should know when visiting Po Nagar Cham Towers Nha Trang
- 3. TOP 3 must-visit destinations near Po Nagar Cham Towers Vietnam
Nha Trang is frequently associated with seaside tourism, but Po Nagar Cham Towers is a remarkable location on land that has gained its reputation as a popular historical destination. Admiring the extraordinary architectural creation of the ancient Cham people is one of the things to do in this coastal city. Note it in your bucket list right away!
1. About Po Nagar Cham Towers Nha Trang
Po Nagar Cham Towers is a unique architectural complex that has long been recognized as both a major tourist site and a symbol of Nha Trang City. You may learn more about the history of the Cham people in this region as well as admire the beautiful Champa architecture at this famous destination.
Here are some details about this destination that you should know before hitting the road:
1.1. Where is Po Nagar Cham Tower?
Po Nagar Cham Towers is located at No. 61, Hai Thang Tu Street, Vinh Phuoc Ward, Nha Trang City, Khanh Hoa Province. It is around 2 kilometers from here to the North of Nha Trang City’s center. It is situated on the 10-meter-high Cu Lao Hill, which is next to the Cai River.
With the harmony of the mountains and rivers, the natural scenery around Po Nagar Cham Towers is breathtakingly beautiful and provides visitors with a wealth of interesting experiences when they come there.
1.2. Po Nagar Cham Temple opening time and entrance fee
Po Nagar Cham Towers is a well-known tourist attraction in Nha Trang so it offers a chargeable visit for those who want to go inside and explore its unique architecture. The specific opening time and entrance fee are as follows:
- Opening hours: Po Nagar Cham Temple opens to welcome tourists at 8 a.m and closes at 6 p.m. Therefore, you should plan your itinerary in advance and consider visiting the temple as well as some other tourist attractions in the center of Nha Trang City along the way.
- Ticket price: Currently, the entrance ticket to Po Nagar Cham Towers costs VND25,000 (US$1,09) per person. This rate is applicable to everyone and tourists will not have to pay any other extra charges.
1.3. The history of Po Nagar
A collection of Cham Pa artifacts from the 7th to the 13th century can be found in Po Nagar Cham Towers. The Champa Kingdom was thriving at this period and Hinduism was still practiced there. The word “Po Nagar” in the name of the tourist destination means “the mother of the country” in the Cham language.
Because Po Nagar Cham Temple was constructed to honor the queen Po Ina Nagar, it is also known as Yang Po Inu Nagar Tower or Yang Po Ana Gar in addition to its more well-known name. The abovementioned queen was known as the goddess of creation who emerged from the sky and sea to grant the Cham people good harvests and pleasant life.
All of the above characteristics are the reasons why this temple complex holds a special place in the spiritual life of the Cham people and is home to the essence of Cham art. Especially, Po Nagar Nha Trang was designated as a national monument by the Ministry of Culture and Information in 1979.
1.4. The unique structure of Po Nagar Cham Towers Vietnam
Po Nagar Cham Towers in Nha Trang is notable for its distinctive architecture, which consists of the four main areas as follows:
- The gate tower: This grand entrance to Po Nagar is in keeping with the rest of the surrounding temple area both in terms of shape and architecture. The tower is no longer standing due to deterioration as time passes, with the exception of the stone steps leading to the middle floor.
- The vestibule (Mandapa): You will enter this area after passing through the gate tower. This is where the Cham people prepared their offerings before conducting the rite. This building currently has only two main rows of octagonal fired brick columns. There are 6 aligned small columns and 5 aligned large columns in each row. The top floor is connected to the middle floor through a flight of steeply sloping brick steps.
- The temple and tower area (Kalan): There is now a row of three towers in the front of this area, with the Tower of Lady Po Nagar being the tallest. These towers were all constructed with unique methods and baked bricks. The top parts of the towers are designed in the shape of domes. On the body of the towers, there are numerous terracotta figurines and reliefs that depict gods, fairies, or legendary creatures.
- The inscription area: The old steles with the memorial inscription are another highlight of this place. These steles are linked to a certain historical moment and have tremendous cultural and historical worth. The story of Thien Y Ana Holy Mother is told on the first stele. A stele built in 2010 which describes the entire monument in the local language is regarded as the complex’s final stele.
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Nha Trang to optimize your travel expenses!
2. ALL things you should know when visiting Po Nagar Cham Towers Nha Trang
You should take note of the following information to make your trip to Po Nagar Cham Towers as convenient as possible:
2.1. How to get to Po Nagar Tower?
Since Po Nagar is close to the city’s heart, you can choose from a variety of means of transportation to get there, including cars, motorbikes, buses, taxis, etc. If you choose to drive private vehicles yourself, you just need to go along Tran Phu Street to the North. Then, go on Tran Phu Bridge and turn onto Thap Ba Street. When you reach the end of the street, you will see the architectural complex of Po Nagar Nha Trang right in front of you.
2.2. When is the best time to visit Po Nagar?
From January to September is the dry season of Nha Trang, which is ideal for touring and photography. Therefore, this period of time is also the ideal time to come and explore Po Nagar Cham Towers. Additionally, if you want to take part in the Po Nagar Festival and enjoy the bustling atmosphere of this festival, it is advised to travel in the third lunar month (March or April of the solar calendar).
2.3. Po Nagar Cham Towers festival
In the third lunar month, a lot of visitors come to Po Nagar Cham Towers to make incense offerings and pray for a good life. Additionally, as mentioned above, the biggest Cham festival in the Central Highlands and South Central areas will be taking place at that time, so you will have the chance to participate and experience the Cham culture.
The legend of worshiping Thien Y Ana Holy Mother is linked to this celebration. It includes a variety of unusual folk religious practices. Among them, the two most prominent activities are the shadow dance (mua bong) and the lion dance. Besides, you can have a chance to listen to the prayers for peace at this place.
2.4. The best tips for visiting Po Nagar Tower Nha Trang Vietnam
Not only a popular sightseeing spot, Po Nagar Cham Temple is also a place of worship for the Cham people. Thus, you need to keep a few things in mind when coming there with your family or friends:
- Do not comment or say rude things about the goddess Po Nagar because this is a taboo
- Do not bring food from outside and do not eat or litter in the premises
- Wear non-revealing clothing to honor the sacredness of the site
- Do not forget to apply sunscreen, wear a hat, sunglasses or bring an umbrella to prevent sunburn
3. TOP 3 must-visit destinations near Po Nagar Cham Towers Vietnam
For convenience, after visiting Po Nagar Tower, along the way you can also go to some well-liked places in Nha Trang below:
- Tram Huong Tower: With a distinctive and exotic structure, it is located in the city center and considered as the symbol of this beautiful coastal city. The tower was built in a unique architectural style, resembling an incense burner and also a lighthouse. From the distance, it appears to be an orange lotus bud beneath the sun.
- National Oceanographic Museum Nha Trang: It was built in 1922 with an area of up to 20 hectares. This is the largest institute of marine life in Southeast Asia with more than 4,000 species of creatures and 20,000 specimens stored over the years. By coming there, you can learn more about various marine species that you have not known.
- VinWonders Nha Trang: The park of records VinWonders Nha Trang is located on the romantic Hon Tre Island. It includes 6 fantastic subdivisions with hundreds of interesting activities, promising to bring visitors many memorable experiences. Here, you will be free to participate in adventure games, immerse yourself in the shimmering marine ecosystem, get lost in the magical world or be satisfied with top-notch performances.
Besides, there are numerous other awesome destinations that await you to explore in Nha Trang along with Po Nagar Cham Towers. Some of them are Nha Trang Night Market, Hon Mun Island, Yang Bay Waterfall, Dam Market, Nha Trang Cathedral, etc. Depending on your travel schedule, you can add these tourist attractions into your must-visit list to make your trip perfect!
>>> Book tickets of VinWonders Nha Trang to let your hair down after a time of hard work!
You will always find new intriguing experiences in Nha Trang City. If you have an opportunity to visit this land, take the time to stop at Po Nagar Cham Towers to explore its unique Champa architecture as well as its historical, cultural and religious values. This is undoubtedly a fascinating tourist site that will enhance your trip to the South Central region of Vietnam. Hopefully, this article will be helpful for your upcoming trip with your beloved.